Welcome to my blog!
Thank you so much to everyone who is taking the time to read this post. I have spent months angrily trying and failing to set up a blog. I am surprised that I ever made it far enough to write this post… surprised and proud. Thankfully, I have very simple taste and so a simple theme suits me just fine.
As some of you may know, I have a bookstagram account called WeeReader. I have been on bookstagram since 2014 and over that time I have had so much fun and met so many wonderful people. I thought that I would ask if anyone has any questions and make my first blog post a Q&A. Whilst I do share things about my life on bookstagram, I still keep things quite private and so this is a chance for you to get to know me!
1. What made you start bookstagram? (from HeadInHerBooks)
In the summer of 2014 I redecorated my bedroom. I was going through the #bookcase tag on Instagram for inspiration and I came across bookstagram accounts. I like to be organised, so I ended up making a new Instagram account so that I could follow them all.
Then one day in September I decided to post my first picture (which is rubbish) and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made! I’ve been posting ever since.
I’ve seen people talking about their blogs on Twitter and Instagram a lot, especially recently. However my previous attempts at starting a blog ended with me angrily giving up as I am hopeless at designing a blog.
I was reading through Sarah J Maas’s old blog and I found it so interesting the way she wrote about her writing. I just decided that I really wanted to start doing that as well despite my lack of design skills. I will probably keep most of my book reviews on Goodreads and instead use this blog to talk about books in general and writing.
3. Do you have a Bookstagram posting routine? (from LateNightReadingWith)
I like this question, I would be so curious to know if other bookstagram accounts have posting routines. My routine is simply to try and post everyday, however I don’t force myself if I am not in the mood. I try to post in the afternoon as I feel like that is when the most people are online.
4. If you could recommend ONE book that everyone should read in their lifetime, what would it be? (from TwoBookThieves)
Definitely Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone by JK Rowling. Everyone loves Harry Potter, no matter what age you are.
5. Favourite TV shows (besides Game of Thrones)? (from BookishMind)
I am really lazy when it comes to watching TV, which is weird I know. I just can’t commit to watching so many episodes of a program. Anyway, here are some favourites:
- Vikings (although I haven’t caught up).
- Black Sails (again haven’t caught up).
- Teen Wolf (… you guessed it, I think I stopped in the middle of series 4).
- The 100 (UNTIL THEY RUINED IT).
- Merlin (which I did actually finish and loved so much!)
6. Top three authors? (from ACoupleReads)
My top authors change whenever I read and love new books so these are just my current favourites:
- Sarah J Maas – she will be number 1 forever.
- George R R Martin.
- Leigh Bardugo.
7. Do you prefer to buy books or check them out of the library? (from BookHarpy)
When I was younger, my parents would always take me and my sister to the library and I always took part in the summer reading programs where you read as much as you could before you went back to school. Now that I have my own money to spend, I like to buy books, I prefer to own a book just in case I love it. (If my financial situation changed though I would definitely use libraries more often.)
8. What do you study? (from JustLoveReadingBooks)
I am studying for a degree in Geography. (No I don’t want to be a teacher and no I can’t tell you the capital of whatever obscure country you are thinking of.) Geography is the study of people and places, and so it is such a wide and varied subject. I love it!
9. What is your favourite thing about fantasy novels? (from Bookish_Black_Hole)
I get bored reading books set in the real world, I love having a new world to immerse myself in where anything can happen. I think world building is one of my favourite things, probably because I study geography. I also really love a clever magic system.
10. Best read of 2016 so far? (from Dreams_In_Blue)
I haven’t been doing very well with reading in 2016 due to a huge slump and then exams. My favourite so far has to be either Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo or A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas.
11. Which series do you like more Throne of Glass or A Court of Thorns and Roses? (from CurrentlyReadingFantasy)
This is so difficult! My favourite book that Sarah has ever written is Heir of Fire, the third book in the Throne of Glass series. However I also love the A Court of Thorns and Roses series so much, especially because they are New Adult and so at times quite dark and very saucy.
12. Who are your top five female characters? (from AlyaOfWinterfell)
- Celaena Sardothien – Throne of Glass.
- Claire Fraser – Outlander.
- Bellatrix Lestrange – Harry Potter.
- Feyre – A Court of Thorns and Roses.
- Daenerys Targaryen – Game of Thrones.
13. What would be your dream job? (from AForestofBooks)
I have no idea! When I think about the future I don’t have a specific job in mind. I just want to be happy with wherever I end up working and hopefully be surrounded by great people. I think I would like to do something to do with the environment (and of course write books on the side).
14. What was the last book you read in one sitting? (from Sey_Books)
The Sleeper and The Spindle by Neil Gaiman is the only book I can remember reading in one sitting recently, and that is because it is only 69 pages long. I hit a reading limit whenever I read and so I can never finish a full book in a day, my brain wont let me.
15. Dream travel destination? (from ManonAndHerBooks)
I would really love to visit Iceland, Scandinavia and New Zealand. I would just love to go to places that have such vastly different landscapes than what I am used to in Scotland.
16. Do you have any tips for finding the time to take pictures and networking with others on bookstagram? (from ACourtOfFiction)
Try to take multiple pictures at a time, I always try to take as many as I can when the lighting is good so that I have back ups in case I am busy or the lighting is bad. When I am busy at uni I usually end up posting less as I don’t have as much time, it is also harder in winter when it gets dark so early. Just do your best and make the most of the picture opportunities you do get.
For networking with others on bookstagram, I would say just be yourself and don’t be afraid to contact people. Even things like commenting on peoples pictures or liking their tweets can help to build up friendships. Don’t be nervous about messaging people, I have had people completely ignore me in the past but hey, if they don’t want to reply then maybe you’re better off without them!
17. How do you juggle studies with online social media, e.g. Bookstagram? (from BookPlaits)
For me, social media doesn’t take up that much time when it comes to posting. It doesn’t take long to upload a picture to Instagram or reply to comments. My main problem is putting my phone down. I could, and do, spend hours scrolling through social media which can be a problem. I think you just need to be realistic, do you want to fail your exams because you were scrolling through Instagram? The answer is always no.
I am also an owl which helps. So at night I am often awake quite late, this it gives me time to catch up on missed comments and scroll through social media to see what I have missed whilst busy.
18. How do you get inspiration for your bookstagram images? (from KatSilver)
Compared to a lot of bookstagrammers, I have quite a simple feed. I just take pictures on my desk and mainly use cups of tea, funkos and my tartan blanket as props. I get inspiration as I read new things. I start to have problems when, like right now, I haven’t read much recently and so don’t have any reviews to post. Scrolling through my account to see what I posed in the past or checking out accounts I love always helps motivate me.
I hope you enjoyed this Q&A and learnt a little more about me. Feel free to give my blog a follow or share this post with every single person you know… Thanks again!